Saturday, December 13, 2008

Getting Your Zen Any Way You Can

The home page on my computer is the New York Times.  Most of the time, the headlining story, especially lately, tells a tale of woe, a sagging economy or a political scandal.  But not today. Today's top story was about meditation.  And punk.  Yes, a whole article devoted to how people typically classified as "punk" are attending meditation sessions made just for them.  Normally, I would have thought it to be somewhat gimmicky, especially upon reading about the statue of buddha with a mohawk. However, lately, my meditation sessions have been less than focused and I could use a little organized sit to get me back on track.  And whatever makes people feel comfortable and invites them into a space where they can practice something as beneficial and healing as meditation, I'm all for.  Whether that is a zafu, a yoga mat, a pew in a Catholic church or under a tree in the middle of the woods. And as I type I realize that even if my morning sits seem distracted or drifting, I have a whole day to find solace somewhere.  

No comments: